- on Shabbat, it is forbidden to launder anything
- it is permitted to add a small amount of water to an item that is dirty
- it is forbidden to squeeze water from an item because that is too much like laundering
- leather is different from other garments in its laundering requirements
- most items are folded over each other and rubbed together to be washed when it is not Shabbat
Tuesday, 17 July 2018
Zevachim 94: Laundering/Cleaning Sanctified Objects
A very brief note on today's daf:
A new Mishna teaches us that when a garment that has been sprayed with the blood of a sin offering goes beyond the curtains, the Temple courtyard, it must be returned to the courtyard to be laundered in a holy place. If the garment became impure outside of the courtyard, the garment should be torn, making it ritually pure, and then brought to the courtyard and laundered in a holy place.
An earthenware vessel that has cooked a sin offering and then leaves the courtyard, it should reenter and be broken in a sacred place. If the vessel became impure outside of the curtains, it is punctured to become ritually pure and then returned to the courtyard where it is broken in a sacred place. A copper vessel that has cooked an offering and then removed from the curtains should be brought back to the courtyard where it is scoured and rinsed in a sacred place. If it became ritually impure outside of the courtyard, it is broken by boring a large hole in it and then returned to the courtyard where it is scoured and rinsed in a sacred place.