Tuesday 3 May 2016

Kiddushin 53: Is it Worth it to Desacralize? Money in Betrothal

For the first time in three and a half years, I have lost my blog after writing it!  Something went wrong with the spell check, and my work was gone...

For the sake of getting enough sleep to function at work tomorrow, I'll sum it up briefly:

The rabbis continue to look at what the priests can use for the purpose of betrothal.  They consider whether or not consecrated items can be exchanged.  They also consider whether or not the state of the priest might make a difference (if he is a glutton or a thief, for example).  Today's daf also considers consecrated monies that might be used for the purposed of betrothal.  One of the interesting facts that came out of that discussion was offered in a note by Steinsaltz: money that was deposited without being sealed in a container or tightly wrapped could be used by the person holding that money.  But if that money is consecrated, and consecrated items should not be used for any other but their designated purposes, erroneously using that money would hold serious consequences.

There!
I should always write my blogs like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment